Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Thoughts on “The Blogging Enterprise”

I attended the Blogging Enterprise conference today.

I enjoyed his conference and learned a lot. Most of the speakers and panelists were well informed, authoritative and led me to think about things I hadn’t considered before. I hadn’t even heard that blogging could be used for business until about a month ago. Then, the Blogging Enterprise conference popped up on my radar. Thus, I now have a lot more to think about and new ideas to put into action at my own workplace.

Here are some of the specific insights I took away from today that will make me a better blogger/employee/writer/person
  • Company officers still coming around on blogging. Several times today, either panelists or audience members broached the topic of the blogging business case. The answers usually included good general principles that will eventually build the business case, but the business case is not quite as tight as should be to drive mass adoptions by C-level execs. My sense is, as soon as blogging is more empirically and definitively linked to increased sales, faster time to market, fewer product defects, and increased repeat business, executives will be all over it.
  • On a related point, blogging and blogosphere engagement strategies are important to avoid becoming the next blogswarm victim, like Kryptonite. This is necessary, but seems more defensive than offensive.
  • Bloggers can be had for things other than money. The key is understanding their motivation. For me, I love to write and having people read my posts, think about them, and respond. Making some extra money from that would be cool too, but since blogging is not my mortgage-paying gig, making money is secondary.
  • Organizations should develop blogging acceptable use policies to govern employee blogging. But even this is not a shield against liability or guarantee of desired transparency
  • Demonstrated expertise drives traffic
  • “Blogging is a trick by technologists to keep websites from sucking.”
  • It is funny watching MSM people defend their model and position, then castigate bloggers for their lack of verification. Pot to kettle: You’re looking a little dark there!
  • Why not talk more about the Dan Rather/fake Bush memo’s scandal? It shows precisely what not to do in a blogstorm.
  • The most noble thing blogging does is put customer at center of corporation, which makes sales easier
  • “Have a take and don’t suck.”
  • Joel Greenberg is an amazingly good facilitator
  • Unfettered, effective blogging requires proper company culture and trust of bloggers by senior management. Effective relationships through blogs with outside world require transparency, authenticity, passion, authority, fallibility, frequency, integrity and - for the love of God! - no “corpspeak”. How can such a person be found?
  • With blogging/RSS/podcasts, etc., small companies can look big, big companies can look small. There’s something going on here. Need to meditate on what this means for the opportunity for bloggers and use to build the business case.
There are a few things I’d recommend the organizers do differently the next time around….
How can you have a blogging conference at a venue that charges $10/day for wi-fi and has precious few electrical outlets? Even though I went through wi-fi withdrawals, I steadfastly refused to pay UT’s extortionate fee for wireless access. Talk about getting blood from a stone. Furthermore, my three-year-old battery is now being pressed into service because of the paucity of electrical outlets. I plugged into the closest outlet about 10 feet to my left, even though its right across what appears to be a major walk way and emergency escape route. I hope I didn't violate the fire code. Ironically, this wi-fi fast might've been a blessing in disguise. Without the ambient distractions of email, the web, and instant messenger, I really got what the speakers were talking about.

Also, what is with this juvenile music playing at such a high volume between sessions? It’s kinda’ hard to network with Run DMC’s “My Adidas” ringing in your ears.

But overall, I had a dandy time and took away many ideas that, God willing, will spark my organization to embrace blogging (BTW: I was the one person from an organization with no plans to blog). Good job Paul and Steve!

5 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

Thanks for commenting at The Language Artist, Travis. I haven't attended a business blogging conference yet, but I'm looking forward to my first.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Lexie said...

Sorry I missed that. How did you hear about it?

10:39 PM  
Blogger Travis Fell said...

Lexie,
Thanks for reading TexasTommy.org.

I first heard about the conference at the austinbloggers.org metablog.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Northern Exposure DVD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home